Monday, July 9, 2012

Classroom Bookshelf

I finally completed classroom project #2.  I have had several useful, yet hideous bookshelves in my classroom since I started teaching 5 years ago.  They were given to me by my aunt.  I was lucky enough to start teaching the year she retired.  This year I will need them more than ever.  I am very excited to be working in a new school that is much closer to my house.  However, this room is about 1/3 the size of any classroom I have ever been in.  Plus, I have always had a wall full of storage cabinets.  The classrooms at my new school only have ONE cabinet in each room.  Storage space is seriously lacking.  I had to purge about 75% of my classroom materials just to get in the room.  I am seriously worried about how everything will fit in this tiny closet classroom.  Like I said earlier the shelves I have are plain and ugly.  Revamping these shelves is at the top of my summer project list.  This first shelf is where I store the majority of my chapter books (organized by author's last name).  I decided to go ahead and paint it my favorite colors (turquoise, lime and zebra).  I had my doubts about how it would turn out, but I really like it.  The blue and green won't seem so bold once the books are in the shelves.  I just used old pain that we had in the garage.  Now to get started on my giant shelf!


This is the shelf before.  Well, after I started painting and realized I didn't take a before picture.


After


After - This gives you a better look at the zebra on the sides.



I'm linking up for Monday Made It (for my very first time).  Yay!  I'm planning on getting the next shelf completed for next Monday.  



11 comments:

  1. Beautiful! What kind of paint did you use? I brought 4 shelves home to paint. I need to get busy!

    I'm your newest follower!

    Kelly @ I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I have several to do when I go back! I did one before I left, and love the way it looks. I am a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh do I love that book shelf!!!!! So cute! Thanks for linking up:) Would love it if you would grab my button:) Hope you come back next week with more wonderful ideas...that book shelf is amazing!!!

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your zebra stripes! I wouldn't have been brave enough to try it, but they look awesome!

    http://fabulous-in-5th.blogspot.com/ (sorry, don't know how to make it clickable!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! The zebra stripes were a great touch.

    EmilyK

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! I've been thinking about painting one of my ugly shelves for a few weeks now. Today I had decided I just didn't have time to do it and it would be fine. BUT NOW, after seeing yours- I HAVE TO PAINT IT!
    Great job! I am your newest follower!
    :) Dana
    Enter my giveaway @ Fun in 1st Grade

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am about to start bookshelf number 2! I can't decide if I want to do the same colors or add more colors. I just used regular old latex paint that I had from my college apartment. It probably isn't the most durable. But, that is what I used about 4 years ago on other shelves and as long as you cover it well it should hold up for several years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks awesome!! I just spray painted my bookshelf last week. It's amazing what a little paint will do!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I. Love this the colors are so cute and fun, this will look great in your classroom. Thanks for sharing.

    Jill
    Bubbalulu.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE your bookshelves. They are so cute !! I just awarded you the Versatile Blog Award. I am giving it to other bloggers like me. Head on over to my blog to get your award & just follow the directions. I'm your newest follower, too! :)

    Kelly @
    thefirstgradefairytales.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete